What type of applications and proceedings may submit photographs, color drawings, grayscale drawings, and other drawings that are not black and white line drawings via EFS-Web?
Photographs, color drawings, grayscale drawings, and other drawings that are not black and white line drawings may be submitted via EFS-Web in only the following types of applications and proceedings:
- (1) Nonprovisional design patent applications, including reissue design patent applications;
- (2) Provisional applications;
- (3) Nonprovisional utility patent applications, including reissue utility patent applications;
- (4) U.S. national stage applications;
- (5) International design applications;
- (6) Reexamination proceedings for utility or design patents;
- (7) Supplemental examination proceedings.
The answer to this question can be found in chapter 500 of the MPEP. This chapter covers Receipt and Handling of Mail and Papers.
The answer is from the 9th Edition, Revision 10.2019. Depending on future changes to the MPEP, the question and answer may or may not be applicable in later Editions or revisions.
This question and answer come from section 502.05 of the MPEP. The following is a brief summary of section 502.05.
502.05 Correspondence Transmitted by EFS-Web
This section covers correspondence submitted through the EFS-Web, which is the PTO’s electronic filing system. Included is a discussion on what types of documents may be submitted through EFS-Web, legal policies, acknowledgement receipts, pre-grant (18 month) publication requests, and policies on photographs and color drawings.