The USPTO is changing the source materials the patent bar exam is covering starting October 13, 2021. Our course includes the newest updates.
The patent bar exam will start covering the MPEP, Ninth Edition, Revision 10.2019, Last Revised June 2020. In addition to incorporating questions from the latest revision of the MPEP, the exam also covers the following supplements:
- Inter Partes, Post Grant, and Covered Business Method Review Final Rules
- Derivation Proceeding Final Rules
- Changes to Representation of Others Before the USPTO Final Rules
- Implementation of the Global and IP5 Patent Prosecution Highway (PPH) Pilot Programs with Participating Offices
- Changes to the Claim Construction Standard for Interpreting Claims in Trial Proceedings Before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board Final Rules
- Amendments to the Rules of Practice for Trials Before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board
These supplements have all been tested on the exam for the last several years. Much of the material is the same. There were no changes to the supplements. The updates only include a change to the version of the MPEP.
We offer clients the option to study with the materials that are right for them. That means we offer both pre- and post- October 13, 2021 materials within the course. So if you plan to take the exam before the October 13 changes, then you will study from the MPEP, Ninth Edition, Revision 08.2017. If you plan to take the exam after the October 13 changes, then you will study from the MPEP, Ninth Edition, Revision 10.2019.
It’s actually very simply laid out in the course. Anywhere with updated quizzes and exams is also very easy to follow. That way you can customize what you’re learning based on when you take the exam.
Do also keep in mind that the patent bar exam must offer any new questions as beta questions. Therefore any new material from the new MPEP will likely be a beta question for potentially several months. That means it’s not factored into your score.
Get started studying today and put the patent bar exam behind you!